Have you recently arrived in America and need help to find housing or employment or require support around immigration and citizenship filing? Perhaps you need to learn English language and literacy skills where people understand your language and culture. If so, you have come to the right place.
Founded in 2000 as the Cape Verdean Task Force, CVC UNIDO was formed with a mission to promote the power and the potential of the Cape Verdean community. Our mission has remained the same over the years, but the organization has evolved to take on the pertinent challenges related to the economy, education and health and wellness. We make a difference in the Cape Verdean community by giving support to families, taking a role in violence prevention and by actively empowering our youth in politics and the election process.
Our goals are to:
- Improve transitions and service provisions for families as they emigrate from Cape Verde to the US
- Increase engagement of community members with advocacy efforts
- Increased communication and involvement with the community at large with the goal of influencing change and impacting policies and decision making
- Improve sense of civic-efficacy
- Improve leadership skills
In 2013 CVC UNIDO won the MassVote award for the Youth Academy: voter registration in the area was up 37% on the previous election year. In 2014, CVC UNIDO was the winner of the Youth Advocate of the Year Award from the Massachusetts Advocates for Children for its important work helping teach young people advocacy skills.